<VV> NO CORVAIR - Geo Prizm Transmission question - NO CORVAIR

aircooled6@prodigy.net aircooled6@prodigy.net
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:31:40 -0600

Im hoping someone here is familiar with the auto tranny on 97 era Geo
Prizm/Toyota Corrollas.

1.8 liter/ 4 speed auto

Mine act ups.  It started out by not wanting to go into Drive and then BANG!
it would.  Then it would drive fine until the next shut down.  Then
sometimes it wouldnt go into reverse. Other times, it wouldnt go into
neutral (stayed engaged when shifter moved to N or P)

If you can get it to go into gear, it will drive fine until you take it out
of gear, then, same symptoms.

Now, we cant get it to go into Drive or any forward gear at all, but Reverse
works fine.

Is it shot or is there a bad solenoid or ????

The check engine lite is on and according to the clymers book, the
transmission has several codes that can show up.  The engine runs fine.

I dont have easy access to a code reader, especially with the car inert in
the driveway.

Thoughts?  Is it time for a junkyard run? (My budget is about $5.00)

Thanks in Advance.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
67 500 4dr 110/pg/ac Shifts fine!
64 Greenbrier 110.pg (shifted fine when it last ran about 2 years ago!)