<VV> Early Dash Harness Sources

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:41:06 -0000

Anil wrote:

>> Not sure if I would agree here. Give the manufacturer a call.
>> They are good people....
>> ... if I can save 15% to 20% on an order then I will.

I don't understand this. Surely the manufacturers should be selling the
parts to the vendors at 'trade' prices, so that the vendors will be able to
add their mark-up and offer them at roughly the same prices that the
manufacturers do? What this story tells me is that the manufacturers here
aren't cutting their larger vendors a good enough deal on their stock, and I
would have thought they could a) expect to go out of business soon; and b)
incur the wrath of the major suppliers, if they carry on undercutting them.

I thought that was how the car spares world worked (it certainly does with
Lotus parts), and this benefits the manufacturer as well as the vendors,
because the manufacturer will benefit from the vendor's network of
customers, reputation, marketing ability and probably their preparedness to
buy in bulk as well.

>From the manufacturer's point of view, having (e.g.) Lon or Cal ring up and
order 50 harnesses at 20% discount is a lot better than hanging round by the
phone and selling one or two for full price (again, I have this experience
with the stuff we sell - someone calls me and places an order for 50 of
something that we can turn out en masse, they get a MUCH better price than
if they only buy one - but as a wholesaler they will still get a lower
price, even for a few, because their reputation and marketing network are
helping me sell my merchandise).

Cheers

Alan