<VV> Corvair power for boats

Silveyyevlis@aol.com Silveyyevlis@aol.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:11:47 EST

Some time in the mid to late 80's we were with a group of men from the
Ultrvan club in California.I can not remember where we were in Ca but I think Jim
Craig took up there. However,where ever we were there was a power unit for a
boat made from a Corvair engine. As I recall it was either an outboard unit with
the engine standing on end or it was an inboard-outboard stern drive.  It had
been designed to be produced for the marine market. However, it never made it
to the market because it could not get Coast Guard approval. The Coast Guard
requires that all approved boat engines must have water cooled exhaust systems.
 We were told that it was either impractical to water cool the Corvair
exhaust or that it was too costly, I do not remember which. This design was tested
with good results but could not get the Coast Guard approval thus the idea of
production was dropped.

Tom Silvey