<VV> More wiring thoughts plus non corvair

bob mccrum bmccrum@comcast.net
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:18:06 -0600

If wiring is a concern, (and it probably should be-see non corvair below), and
you're not concerned about stock, a suggestion from street rods would be to
check out after market harnesses that are sold.  two products I have used and
were impressed with aare www.painlesswiring.com and ron francis stuff at
www.wire-works.com . Both are an absolute breeze to install, great
instructions, and work well. IMHO, most factory harnesses are built to minimum
standards, with cost a main factor. Not as true with good aftermarket stuff.
Non-corvair opinion--old wiring is old wiring. New stuff, as a rule, has
better cut/abrasion coverings.  I've spent 8 of the last 10 years pulling old
wiring out of DC-9 and DC-10 aircraft to put new (FAA mandated) wiring in.
The old wiring was absolutely state of the art when installed in the 60's and
70's (like our cars), but time has not been kind. Most of the old wiring was
bad enough to be a serious hazard. Unless you are a conspiracy nut, looking at
fuel tank wiring from the  late 60/70's aircraft would convince you that TWA
800 was easily blown up by a center fuel tank wiring problem.
The new teflon coated wire is so far superior in performance, there is no,
repeat no, comparison.  Apples to oranges.
Above is my opinion, your mileage may vary.  Bob mc