<VV> Wiring harness replacement

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:18:56 EST

A couple of comments (I own a classic car wiring business)

When I am asked to evaluate a car, I just bend and pinch a few wires in  each
harness.  If the insulation breaks or there are visible breaks  already, it's
time to replace the wire.  Also, I look inside the  junctions for signs of
corrosion or overheating.  On the typical car, all  that needs replacement is
the engine harness and taillight sockets.  I  usually just spend a half a day
under the dash repairing prior bad work.   The underdash is a pretty friendly
environment for long-lived wires.

Every old car I work-on gets a mega-fuse, usually about 60 amps.   Corvairs
prior to '67 didn't have a fusible-link.  The mega-fuse takes care  of that and
eliminates most of the chance of a big melt-down.

Corvairs need to have the harness in the tunnel inspected for contact with
the cables and shift tube.  Shorts to these components are common and since
the B+ that feeds them is unfused (except for very LM cars) the result isn't
pretty.

Except for engine harnesses which get oil-soaked and baked, I've never had
to replace a Corvair harness either, though I have done more than one fuse box
rebuild.
Jes my 2 cents!
Craig Nicol, Racers Inc.