<VV> School me on Swing Axles

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:56:00 EST

In a message dated 1/20/05 10:29:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
UltraMonzaWest@aol.com writes:

<< > Use large enough anti roll bars that the car body doesn't roll.
 >   No roll, no tuck.
 > Warren

 No truer words were ever spoken!     Now..if they'd just read your
 Book....SoloIS available at all the BEST  Corvair Vendor[s]........gg

Thanks,
   ****To be more specific.
  I have a hot rodded , restored 63 Spyder street (date) car. I have
installed a late model front anti roll bar and a 1 ": (with long arms) rear bar. I
also have the Clark's HD springs cut one coil for 1 deg. of neg camber.
   I have tested it in autocrosses and it does not tuck the rear wheel. The
ride is soft enough to take my wife out to dinner .
   I have acquired the Bill Thomas Doug Roe race car. ---a 1960 500 coupe.
The body roll was limited by HUGE springs---remember 1960 technology---(looks
like rampside rear springs all around) and  a small adjustable front anti roll
bar. This was a race only set -up, I'm sure you would prefer softer springs and
larger bars in your street car. This car won a lot of races. I have lots of
old pictures of this car in races and the rear wheels were never tucked under.
    I've stated this before; but here goes again:  The camber compensators,
the 64 rear leaf spring, "Z" bars, and various gadgets  force the rear
suspension into no roll resistance ( like Formula Vees);, direct the roll resistance
to the front which quickly washes out.
   If the front end understeers and reaches it's limits very early under low
speed, low roll conditions, then the rear suspension never reaches it's limit
and therefore cannot misbehave. But----the car is slow in the corners.
     Warren