<VV> Engine Failure Cause????

Donald Manen donmanen@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:45:39 -0800 (PST)

Tearing down the engine removed from my donar car to
place in my current project Lakewood--- first noticed
three severly bent pushrod tubes on cyls 2, 4, and 5-
further investigation revealed three completly broken
pushrods and six bent. Engine is a RB block
(140-manual 65-68) with 110 heads (39878566)-- valves
did not hit the heads.

>From what I can tell, there was a reseal/valve job
done by an amature/first timer -- evidenced by the red
silicone or anti-sieze (or both) on every mating
surface and every "O" ring/gasket in the engine.
Apparently the engine did run for some time after the
reseal-- and failed suddenly.  Everything was
reassembled properly --timing marks on cam/crank are
properly aligned--distributor pin is not sheared--
crank and cam appear to be intact (I will split the
case tomorrow).  No metal residue in the pan.. no
evidence of oil starvation or overheat.

I have never seen type failure-I've seen broken/bent
pushrods- but never severly bent tubes (over 1 1/4"
deflection from straight--rods won't even fall out of
the tubes) NEVER this many at once--- and I can't find
the cause.  Up until now--I thought I knew EVERYTHING.

Bye the bye--- I was working outside all day--in a "T"
shirt- then I see on the local news that most you east
coast types are up to your privates in snow and ice.
But you're still going to tell me what's wrong with my
engine,,,,right????

Don Manen
Under the "X" in TeXas
Drifting tumbleweeds, small waves in the pool, boy
squirrels chasing girl (I hope!) squirrels, stuff like
that