<VV> Was-Chevy Comfort? - Now Corvair replacements

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:36:35 -0500

Ned
Was my post in Russian?? I thought you were old enough to have lived through
the last 45 years or so.

The Corvair was introduced as a smaller, more economical, fun compact car in
the Chevrolet lineup, which had nothing but starndard and big boat cars at
the time, other than Corvette of course. The BIG three were beginning to
feel the heat of  VW, and suddenly,  Corvair, Falcon/Comet  and Valiant both
arrived on the scene as US alternatives to the Beetle.

Now let's speed up to the late 60's---Nader took his shot, GM produced the
LM in spite of it, but Valiant and Falcon weren't setting the world on fire
anymore either.

Now Chevy decides 69 will be it for the Corvair.  Ford is coming out with 2
economy models, the Pinto (sub compact) and the Maverick (compact) for under
2000.00, Chrysler is bringing out a Mitsubishi sub-compact called the
Cricket,  The Big 3 is still fighting the VW, which is selling like hotcakes
for 1800.00, and on top of all of that, Now the Japanese have introduced the
Toyota and the Datsun, in various models,  selling for under 2000.00.

Now if you want to feel that Chevy decided to say, the hell with it, we're
not replacing the Corvair,  OK by me.  But they had to have something to
keep from losing market share to all of these competitors.  If your opinion
is that Chevy said. "We're discontining the compact Corvair, and we are now
proud to introduce a new compact car", and that satisfies you, Fine by me.

Fact is,  the Vega DID replace the corvair as the compact. It also had the
station wagon (kammback) as part of the line. It does have some of the lines
of the Lakewood/Monza wagon, IMO.

The Vega had lots of engine problems, as has been discussed here, and Chevy
started the Chevette as a replacement for the Vega.  Chevette had a better
run, I know some Chevy mechanics who really like them, but as sales started
to droop in the mid 80's,  chevy started looking for a replacement.

That is when the Sprint/Spectrum was developed with Suzuki.  I had a (sold
in Guam) Suzuki 380 GSV, which was a Sprint in everything but the Chevy
Badging.  The sprint was a micro compact (IMO), and it and the Spectrum had
some problems, sales numbers and small profit ratio being the bigger ones.

Then the brains at GM decided that perhaps a Japanese alternative to the
complete Corvair line was in order. Instead of a van/truck (since GM already
had the S-10/Sonoma), The GEO line came out with the Metro as the
subcompact, the Prizm as the compact small family car, the Storm as the
sports model, and the Tracker as the mini SUV-fun vehicle.   In a way
reminds me of the 500/700, Monza,  Spyder/Corsa, and the FC????

But it seems the General can never really dedicate itself.... So GEO is
gone.  The Metro and Prizm stayed around as rebadged Chevy's for a while.
And now the next generation has hit the road.

Of course, this is only an opinion.  Shared by many I know and have talked
to. Sure isn't carved by tongues of flame on stone tablets.

I think personally that GM didn't want to pay for all the engineering that
makes the Corvair such a great car. Still today considered the "car of
tomorrow, built yesterday".  They wanted something water cooled, more
maintenance free, slicker/cheaper to buy, with increased profit margin.

Your mileage and opinion, of course may vary.

Regards
HANK