<VV> Chevy/GM compacts-was Corvair replacement

Mike Ioanes mioanes@woh.rr.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:47:45 -0500

Can't basically argue with Hank, but he ignores (sure he couldn't forget) the
second incarnation of the Vega as Monza (gak!)/Skyhawk/Omega/Sunbird.  With
conventional cast-iron engines:4, V6 and V8, this car lasted a long time.  The
advent of FWD and the Citation/Phoenix and clones are what did it in. The
transcript of David E. Davis's speach in the Jan Communique touches on the
engine selection in the Vega-saying it was Ed Cole's decision-the same Ed Cole
who is the father of our beloved Corvair.
The Chevette was also (to my knowledge) GM's first "world car"...saw some
Opels in Germany that looked VERY similar.
Mike Ioanes
guess if this thread goes much further it should move to "talk"