<VV> Corvair evolution sparks the new "sporty car" industry

Charles Lee chaz@properproper.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:18:23 -0800

Re :

>> The real reason for Corvair's demise ?  Lots of speculation, but I think
>> it was the fact that
>> it cost over 90 cents per dollar earned to build a
>> Corvair, while other "normal" cars, cost 70 or 80 cents (or less ?) to
>> build
>> per dollar earned.

This "fact" (factoid ?) is in dispute, sooooo,

That's why I started with "I think that" this is the reason.

I remember this factoid from early on, don't remember the source, because it
made so much sense.

Look at all the parts in the Corvair's rear suspension and engine alone.
Compare that to the "normal" car.

I also figured I'd draw out some disputes about the "real" reasons for the
Corvair's demise, other than apathy.

Chaz