<VV> Rear Wheel Hubs

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:35:54 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2005 4:57:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,
emills5@cfl.rr.com writes:

My  question is twofold.  The first concerns why the general went from  1/4"
bolts to 5/16" bolts.  Obviously the larger ones on 66 forward  are stronger,
but was this done due to failure of the smaller ones, or just  a precaution.

My belief is that the manufacturing engineers wanted to diffrentiate  those
bolts from another 1/4-20 grade "nothing" bolt in use there. It was not a
production line problem, although it might be a good test to see how often they
were correctly torqued. The drive shafts U-joiunt straps were installed totally
 separately than the valve cover bolts - which they resemble.  But I  have
found grade "nothing" bolts in place on driveshafts and grade 8 bolts on  valve
covers - Hmmm? Could that be the reason?

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer@aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette