<VV> Rear Wheel Hubs

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:53:18 -0500

Seems everyone is in agreement on the 1/4" U-Joint bolts.  Nothing wrong with
them as long as you don't confuse them with valve cover or shroud bolts that
are not grade 8.  Some even suggested that if the old ones had been
overtorqued they could be in danger of breaking.  If I had thought about it, I
probably would have replaced all 16 of them with new grade 8 bolts from
Clark's or elsewhere.  At .70 cents each it might possibly have been a good
idea....but that's hindsight now.
I did make sure that I used the same bolts that I took out of them, so they
should at least be O.K as to grade.

Thanks to all who replied with the why's and where fors.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sethracer@aol.com
  To: emills5@cfl.rr.com ; virtualvairs@corvair.org
  Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 2:35 AM
  Subject: Re: <VV> Rear Wheel Hubs

  In a message dated 1/23/2005 4:57:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,
emills5@cfl.rr.com writes:
    My question is twofold.  The first concerns why the general went from
1/4"
    bolts to 5/16" bolts.  Obviously the larger ones on 66 forward are
stronger,
    but was this done due to failure of the smaller ones, or just a
precaution.

  My belief is that the manufacturing engineers wanted to diffrentiate those
bolts from another 1/4-20 grade "nothing" bolt in use there. It was not a
production line problem, although it might be a good test to see how often
they were correctly torqued. The drive shafts U-joiunt straps were installed
totally separately than the valve cover bolts - which they resemble.  But I
have found grade "nothing" bolts in place on driveshafts and grade 8 bolts on
valve covers - Hmmm? Could that be the reason?

  Seth Emerson
  Sethracer@aol.com
  C's the day! Corvair, Camaro, Corvette