<VV> Rear Wheel Hubs

slmizel@juno.com slmizel@juno.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:31:10 GMT

I recently replaced a rear hub and did an engine removal/reinstall on my '65.  It had the original 1/4" grade 8 bolts.  Instead of the wheels being towed in, they were towed out.  I attached the 1/2 shafts and planned on pulling the wheels in as I tightened the yokes on the U-Joints.  Using a tiny 1/4" hand wrench, I ended up breaking off one of the bolts in the differential without any huge effort and I had to drill it out.  I ended up purchasing new grade 8 bolts from my FLAPS (they were cheep...don't remember, but less than $.20 apeice).  Local Corvair mechanic Bob Bauer rigged up a cool come-a-long contraption to pull the wheels together this second time, and everything went together fine, but I can't help but think that bolt should not have sheared off that easily.  It must have been fatigued from 40 years and 70,000+ miles of use.  IMO anyone doing the U-Joint yokes with original hardware should replace the bolts with new grade 8 bolts...costs little but could save a lot!

Steve Mizel, St. Louis
CORSA/Show Me CC
'65 Corsa Vert 140/4