<VV> Rear Wheel Hubs

Jim Bannister jimster1@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:53:15 -0800

Hi all,
As someone that had a u-joint come adrift from the hub, I can only say that
everyone should pay real attention in this area.  The "event" wound up
shearing both u-joints off, one inboard, the other outboard.  Made a hella
of a bang followed by severe indigestion.  As this thread has gone on for a
while, I have the sudden urge to take a peek under the back of my car to
make sure the bolts are grade 8.
Jim B.
'66 Turbovert

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of slmizel@juno.com
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 10:31 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Rear Wheel Hubs

I recently replaced a rear hub and did an engine removal/reinstall on my
'65.  It had the original 1/4" grade 8 bolts.  Instead of the wheels being
towed in, they were towed out.  I attached the 1/2 shafts and planned on
pulling the wheels in as I tightened the yokes on the U-Joints.  Using a
tiny 1/4" hand wrench, I ended up breaking off one of the bolts in the
differential without any huge effort and I had to drill it out.  I ended up
purchasing new grade 8 bolts from my FLAPS (they were cheep...don't
remember, but less than $.20 apeice).  Local Corvair mechanic Bob Bauer
rigged up a cool come-a-long contraption to pull the wheels together this
second time, and everything went together fine, but I can't help but think
that bolt should not have sheared off that easily.  It must have been
fatigued from 40 years and 70,000+ miles of use.  IMO anyone doing the
U-Joint yokes with original hardware should replace the bolts with new grade
8 bolts...costs little but could save a l!
ot!

Steve Mizel, St. Louis
CORSA/Show Me CC
'65 Corsa Vert 140/4