<VV> gas in the oil is probably a leaking fuel pump

Patten Del R Civ AFRL Det 8/PKMA del.patten@kirtland.af.mil
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:18:59 -0000

 I use the steel inlet valves because I once had one of the stock ones leak
back into the manifold when it got stuck...The driveway is on a slight
slope.  I got up in the morning and the GB wouldn't start...battery clicked
but nothing else...not being the sharpest pencil in the box, I charged up
the battery...still being dull when that didn't work, I put in a known good
starter!!  Finally figured out what it was when I notice gas dripping out of
the header connection to the muffler!!  I knew that wasn't right!!  Took me
much of the day to drain the tank and clean the plugs an all...at least I
didn't trash the engine!!

  Del Patten...CNM (Past President, DoMC)

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:29 AM
To: kenfran@comcast.net; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: RE: <VV> gas in the oil is probably a leaking fuel pump

Fuel gets into a Corvair's crankcase through leaking float valves in the
carburetors, too, ESPECIALLY when the vehicle has an electric pump that can
run when the engine is not running. I've seen this with my own eyes, not
only with the electric pump, but with a mechanical pump on a 140hp engine
(four float valves to leak).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C