<VV> 370 UltraVans, made in Detroit!, Fiberglass bodies on Co rvair Chassis with 4 Cylinder Corvair motors!

Patten Del R Civ AFRL Det 8/PKMA del.patten@kirtland.af.mil
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:03:17 -0000

 For all you Ultra van folks out there...I helped a couple my wife sold a
house to some months back and the old man told me he knew all about
Corvairs...turned out he claimed to have been the senior engineer at the
factory and was the one that came up with the one peice shower??!!  Does
that make sense??  I have seen several over the years but never looked in
the shower!! The old guy has had several strokes now but still gets around
and he is a hoot!!  He has lived a lively life!!  That's my story for the
day and I am sticking to it!!

  Del Patten...CNM

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Dan & Synde
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 10:38 PM
To: Virtual Vairs Submission
Subject: <VV> 370 UltraVans, made in Detroit!, Fiberglass bodies on
Corvair Chassis with 4 Cylinder Corvair motors!

Ran across this article today on the internet:

http://info.detnews.com/joyrides/story/index.cfm?id=527

Published in The Detroit News.  Needless to say I sent a comment the site
and to the writer.  The only accurate thing written about the Ultra Van was
that about 370 were produced, the rest seems made up.  Kind of makes you
wary of anything written or spoke of in the news or on the internet!!
Ken Wildman's site has a pretty good write-up about the Ultra Van as well as
some links to articles and tech tips, some of the good ones by Norm Helmkay.

Ken Wildman's  site http://www2.onu.edu/~kwildman/ultraVan.html

The comment about the 4 Cylinder Corvair motor is so typical, I hear that
one all the time...Wonder why that myth is so prevalent?  Has to be the VW /
Porsche connection, all I can figure!

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89, 110 On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]