<VV> Reply to recent wiring harness prices post

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:36:02 -0500 (EST)

As the one who originated this thread (but not the person described above), I should clarify my purpose in doing so.

I expressed my reluctance to pay $300 for a dash harness, not an eagerness to pay $295 or so to the lowest bidder.

Rather, I'm feeling sticker shock over this harness, and wondering how I'm going to raise the money.

Most emphatically, I do not fault Clark, Lon, Larry, or anyone else for trying to clear (as we say in my industry) "a dime on a dollar" from customers who sometimes resent any margin higher than a nickel.  (Or a penny!)  These vendors have to make a living at parts sales or they'll take their business acumen to another market.  I respect that, which is why I buy (for example) oil and air filters from them even though my FLAPS can supply quality versions at the same price with no shipping costs.

If there is no alternative to the sole Corvair harness manufacturer, then I am suspicious *his* price is based more on there being no competition than on the cost of parts and complexity of manufacturing.  Consequently, I choose to hold my money as long as possible, if necessary until someone starts selling these harnesses to our vendors at a lower wholesale price to begin with.

Michael Smith
Dallas
~ with a binder full of receipts from Lon, Larry, and Clark ~

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com