<VV> Reply to recent wiring harness prices post

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:12:02 -0800

I think were are lucky that ANYONE is willing to reproduce these harnesses
given the low volume, complexity, variety and uniqueness of them.  I was
surprised a few years back when I saw them advertised for the first time in
a vendor's catalog.  As far as I know, they are offering all of them for all
years and all body types.  That in itself is a miracle.  Is the fusebox on
the early and/or late Corvair unique?  I have no idea but if it is, just
this part alone would be expensive to have reproduced and may help explain
the cost of the dash harness.  You also have to consider the skilled labor
to have someone sit down and put it together.  If this person is making
$15.00 and hour and has medical benefits, well, you can easily double that
hourly rate.  $15.00 an hour isn't much for skilled labor.  How long do you
think it takes to make a dash harness?
The thing is, there is no volume in these.  No one is going to be willing to
reproduce something so unique for a couple dollars.  Lets face it...alot of
Corvair owners are cheap as some on the list have already said!  But owning,
driving and restoring a Corvair is so affordable compared to other marquees.
Think of some of the other marquees and the higher demand there is for
reproduction parts for them.  The manufacturer of the Corvair harnesses
makes harnesses for other collector cars as well and the prices are just as
high if not higher.  Considering that they probably have competition for the
other collector car harnesses and their prices are just as high leads me to
believe that the high price is not solely because of lack of competition.
Add all that together and ~$300.00 sounds like a bargain :)

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89, 110 On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw

<snip>
>As the one who originated this thread (but not the person described above),
I >should clarify my purpose in doing so.

>I expressed my reluctance to pay $300 for a dash harness, not an eagerness
to >pay $295 or so to the lowest bidder.

>Rather, I'm feeling sticker shock over this harness, and wondering how I'm
>>>going to raise the money.
>
>If there is no alternative to the sole Corvair harness manufacturer, then I
>>am suspicious *his* price is based more on there being no competition than
>>on the cost of parts and complexity of manufacturing.  Consequently, I
>choose to hold my money as long as possible, if necessary until someone
>starts selling these harnesses to our vendors at a lower wholesale price to
>begin with.
<snip>