<VV> was digest - now New Corvair Owner

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:58:55 -0600

Hi,

There is probably an oil leak in the engine which drips down onto the hot
exhaust manifold and creates the odor.  You need to find where the leak is
and (most likely) replace a gasket.  The most common leak is from the push
rod tubes.  That is relatively easy to fix by replacing them with VITON O
rings.  Most all the Corvair vendors have them.

The tunnel cover is supposed to be screwed on with sheet metal screws.
Someone made a mistake if they have rivets there.

Check the engine compartment for a return spring on the throttle shaft.
Perhaps it is weak or missing?  It does not have to be a strong one.  Again,
the correct part is available.

VV does not allow attachments.  So, whatever you sent did not come through.

When responding to a "digest", please change the subject line to something
appropriate.

Enjoy your car!

If you let us know where you are located, I'm sure you will hear back from
folks in your vicinity who can give you lots of tips.  You might want to
also look into any local clubs and the national CORSA club as well.

Later, JR