<VV> Re: Calibrate Fuel-Level Sender?

MoVair@aol.com MoVair@aol.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:33:48 EST

I ran into much of the same problem. I got a replacement  sender from Clark's
for my 62 700. The stock unit had failed months earlier,  plus it was time to
take the tank out. The filler neck hoses would leak if the  tank was filled
up. With tank removed and old sender out, I connected the new  sender to see
how accurate it would be. My daughter watched the gage as moved  the float arm
up and down. When I asked what the gage read, she said  "nothing".
  I then asked her if the ignition switch was on...
  "Oops!" was her reply.
  With the switch on and her watching, I moved the arm to full  up. She said
it was past the full mark. Puzzled, I moved the arm to what should  have been
1/2 tank. "Three quarters full", she said.
  More puzzled now...
  At what should have been a 1/4 tank, the gage read empty.  That's when I
started looking the old tank unit over. Seems the float in the  stock unit had a
crack in it and it was full of gas. I hooked it back up and the  gage worked
and read like it should. Fortunately, the plastic float from  the Clark's unit
fit like the original.
  Unfortunately, it kept me from returning it. Can't return a  "cannibalized"
part... can you??
  Anyone who knows how, want to "calibrate" this unit for me??? At 60+
bucks, I may have a real use for it one day and would like to have it a bit more
accurate. Also, anyone know how to rebuild sender units? Might have a couple of
 FC units that need looking into. Thanks for any info!!!
  Kelly Parker
_MoVair@aol.com_ (mailto:MoVair@aol.com)