<VV> FC Sender Unit was Calibrate Fuel-Level Sender?

Keith Hammett khammett@stainlessfab.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:30:10 -0600

I might be a bit late on this but here it goes.  I ran into the need to
replace the sender on my rampside project and started research on it.  One
vender sells rebuilt units but more $$$ than I have in the budget.  This
brought about a search for a sender that I could use from another vehicle
and mount onto the FC pickup tube.  I found a universal unit at Dons Sport
Vehicle in Detroit, Michigan 1-800-303-6211 (http://www.donssport.com/ or a
direct link to the sender at
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=Classic_30ohms&Cart=).

I have a word document on this and need to submit to Corvanatics and the
Communique.  I was waiting until the project was complete but it seems that
there is a need for the information now, and I am not sure when I will
complete the stainless steel gas tank build.

Keith Hammett

-----Original Message-----
Message: 12
From: MoVair@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:33:48 EST
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Re: Calibrate Fuel-Level Sender?

I ran into much of the same problem. I got a replacement  sender from
Clark's
for my 62 700. The stock unit had failed months earlier,  plus it was time
take the tank out. The filler neck hoses would leak if the  tank was filled
up. With tank removed and old sender out, I connected the new  sender to see
how accurate it would be. My daughter watched the gage as moved  the float
arm
up and down. When I asked what the gage read, she said  "nothing".
  I then asked her if the ignition switch was on...
  "Oops!" was her reply.
  With the switch on and her watching, I moved the arm to full  up. She said
it was past the full mark. Puzzled, I moved the arm to what should  have
been
1/2 tank. "Three quarters full", she said.
  More puzzled now...
  At what should have been a 1/4 tank, the gage read empty.  That's when I
started looking the old tank unit over. Seems the float in the  stock unit
had a
crack in it and it was full of gas. I hooked it back up and the  gage worked
and read like it should. Fortunately, the plastic float from  the Clark's
unit
fit like the original.
  Unfortunately, it kept me from returning it. Can't return a
"cannibalized"
part... can you??
  Anyone who knows how, want to "calibrate" this unit for me??? At 60+
bucks, I may have a real use for it one day and would like to have it a bit
more
accurate. Also, anyone know how to rebuild sender units? Might have a couple
of
 FC units that need looking into. Thanks for any info!!!
  Kelly Parker
_MoVair@aol.com_ (mailto:MoVair@aol.com)