<VV> One wire alternators

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:43:31 -0500

I have converted both of my LM,'s to one wire alternators. (Due to adding A/C)
The shop that rebuilds mine for me converts them to an internal regulator, and
is what they call self exciting. (does not put out until the engine is sped
up, and then starts putting out). Both that I have had done required that I
replace the small 4 wire plug to the regulator with a two wire type that plugs
directly into the alternator. (this is the wires necessary to operate the
idiot light.  Actually only one wire ...the large red one...is necessary for
the alternator to charge the battery). To operate the idiot light it is
necessary to wire around the existing regulator as per the Tech Tips.  I chose
to completely remove the regulator and jumper contacts 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 where
they plug into the regulator. (Your choice).  If you want it to look original
this can be done on the back of the regulator itself.  Be aware that if the
alternator is over 60 amps there will be an imbalance in the ckt. to the idiot
light that will cause it to glow slightly (not noticeable in the daytime, but
will come on real bright if you for some reason lose a belt or the alternator
stops putting out.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.