<VV> The Last Word on the Lada!

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jul 1 07:58:19 EDT 2005

Since my Canadian buddy Garth's initial post generated
some interest on this forum I thought it proper to relate
 the final words on my rare (in the US) Lada Niva. I
bought it after I returned to the US from a 3-year
assignment in Canada with General Motors. I has observed
many little Nivas (not the Fiat 131 clone Lada - this one
is a mini-SUV) on Canadian roads but none in the US. That
is because the car did not pass our emissions requirements
(mine was a 1987 model and it had a carb and a manual
choke - from the factory!) The car was built in Moscow and
had both  Fiat and Lancia bits. The engine was a 1.5 litre
Fiat "truck" engine. The way the car ended up in the US is
an interesting story. It may be a story as it was related
to me by a used car salesman... The Canadian owner of this
particular Niva had crossed over to Michigan by driving
North on the Ambassador Bridge from Windsor, Ontario. The
story goes that he got into a bar room brawl somewhere in
Detroit and ended up cooling his heals in a Michigan jail
for 30 days. Since his Lada Niva was left at the scene it
was towed and impounded. At the end of his incarceration
he split town and headed South back to his native Canada
and left the Niva in lockup. After a Sheriff's auction
this used car salesman picked it up and the State of
Michigan issued him a legal title. The documentation was
transferable so I became the owner of the only known
"legal" Lada Niva in the US. I did buy it with Larry
Claypool in mind but he turned it down. It languished in
several storage places for the next ten years or so until
I found a guy who was crazy about anything Russian. We
traded and now I have a really cool 1974 Camaro street
racer that is ready for the 2005 edition of the Woodward
Dream Cruise. Look for me and buddy Clark Hartzel spinning
the tires and making much noise on the week of August 16th
-20th on Woodward Avenue in the Motor City. - Lucky Pete
in PA