<VV> Aircraft Paint Stripper

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Jul 1 16:56:56 EDT 2005

At 07:45 hours 07/01/2005, Norman Witte wrote:
>Hank, what about sanding down the Imron and then chemically stripping?
>
>Norm

It ain't that hard.   Try out some of the standard aircraft style paint
strippers.   They're designed not to hurt aluminum and since a lot of
aircraft are painted with polyurethane paint (such as Imron) it should
work.   I've also heard that "Citristrip" paint remover will remove
polyurethane paint.   It likes to be used in the sun to keep things hot,
and after everything softens up, a pressure washer is handy to take the
stuff off.

I myself have not seen much  that a serious grade of aircraft strip won't
soften up enough to remove it with a nylon scraper or a pressure washer.

Or, you can assault it with a single-edge razor blade and shave it
off...  depending on how well it's stuck to  what's underneath.  Poly
paints may be tough, but they don't really stick any better than much of
anything else so it might simply carve off with a razor blade.   Been there
done that.

tony..