<VV> RE: budget paint stripping

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Jul 1 20:06:52 EDT 2005

At 12:03 hours 07/01/2005, mopar at jbcs2.net wrote:

>I never would have beleived it until I helped a friend do it.
>Box of 100 cheap razor scraper blades, and a couple of the "good" holders
>and we stripped a 67 chevelle. paint was thick on that car and it came off
>so easily it was ridiculous.
>Certain areas needed stripper, but for the most part the 2 of us stripped
>the car with razor blades.
>Now this does not always work, we tried it again on a different car, and it
>would not do it. But if you have nothing to lose...........give it a try.

Razor blade stripping works well if the outside layer was applied without a
lot of serious attention to surface prep, and if the previous paint under
what you wanna remove wasn't sanded and "toothed", the outside layer
usually will come off without a lot of argument.    Good example is enamel
applied over original baked lacquer, typical Vair condition.    I once
stripped a '65 Corsa coupe with a razor blade, easy and quick, stuff came
off in long ribbons.

I also cut most of a Maaco paint job off the blue '69 Monza, since the
enamel had been applied over red oxide primer and the enamel didn't really
stick all that well...  it had "died" and it was brittle and hard, loads of
surface cracking, and on the straight flat areas it would just crack and
chip off ahead of the blade, flaking off in little pinhead sized chips and
flying everywhere.    Curves and concave areas still had to be sanded etc
but the deck lids and roof and fenders were carved off in relatively short
order....  in between socializing at the Wednesday evening tech sessions
while BS'ing with the other people hanging out.

I've already checked the "hersheybar" brown paint on the formerly red
Porsche.  It razors right off in ribbons easy, won't be a problem stripping
the P-car until I get into the door jambs and in nooks and crannies
etc.    For now, it will remain brown until I get some other stuff done.

I have a couple or three cars in the fleet that really need paint.   ;)

tony..