<VV> Well, I'm back..my review.

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 20:24:28 EDT 2005

Hello there fellow cool people!

Well, my father and I just got back to Minneapolis
from the Convention.  I suppose I'll try to do this in
order, but you never know how it's gonna work.

We got there about 11 on Thursday and I immediately
walked in to see Mr. Warren LeVeque himself.  I just
about cried....  Then he sat down at the piano and
started playing jazz.  I was just giddy.

We got our cool little badges with our little red
stars on them (indicating we were participating in
autocross) and proceeeded up to our room.

The rooms were mazing.  DSL connections in the
room...big TV's with web connections and other amazing
things.  Ironing board, Iron...

We came back down, and I walked in the vendor room to
see Lon standing to one side...and Cal to the other.
I couldn't close my mouth...all the parts, all the
legends in the Corvair world.  I don't know if I could
even TAKE going to the Portland convention.  I don't
know that I could take seeing that many people I've
heard of.

Well, I bought a bunch of parts, of course...a whole
bunch of dseals...T/O bearing...pilot bushing...whole
bunch of stuff.

I think about the time we walked in there, I started
drooling, BTW.

Well, I went outside...and there were some people
looking for me.  i have THE hardest time remembering
names...so I'm going to forget people and call them by
their cars.  But I did meet Terry Kalp, who helped me
out getting two carbs for my 110...he's a pretty nice
guy.

In fact, I think I'll take this small paragraph to
mention that I've never been to any convention or
anything like that where there were so many people
that were just...nice...knowledgable.  great people.

And as I'm walking around...I see Darth Vair. I was
like...Giddy...I'm not kidding I felt dort of...funny
inside...kind of like butterflies.  I was introduced
to a whole bunch of people...many of which knew me,
and came to introduce themselves to me with hands out
and smiling faces.  Ringesletter...Ringenslt...shoot,
I don't remember how to spell his last name...anyway,
he's a real nice guy...says he reads my posts.
hehe...he's got a real nice red Corsa...intercooler on
the turbo...just ana amazing car.  He had some great
times at the track.

I went over to the cruise/car show last
night...there's was about 40 vairs there all parked in
a row...lots of real nice cars...real cool things.
Including a 110 horsepower Motorcycle.  Hoowee!

I got lost for a while on the way back to the
hotel...but after turning the wrong way onto a one way
by myself, and asking for some directions...I got back
to the highway and made my way back to the hotel room.

I did also help yesterday set up the autocross...with
um...Bob Donahugh (Did I spell that right, Bob?) and
Jim Dallas...Micheal Leveque...  and some others,
whose names I will someday learn again.

o, this morning was the autocorss.  If there was a
tech inspection, I missed it(I'm kidding...there
really WASN'T that much of a tech inspection.)  it was
more or less a "here's the paper, look your car over
for this, figure out your class and here's the shoe
polish and you can paint it on your right side window"

We got to the track ("Hawkeye Downs") and spent a
while getting heats organized, and Warren L. led a bit
of a driver meeting...and we got into our cars.  After
intense searching, I was lended a helmet (by a guy I
talked to A LOT the whole time I was there, and I
don't think I ever learned his name.  It could have
been Ray...it could be something completely different.
 it would be nice to know.)

So...I was first heat, and my father was second heat.
it was more of a lap race.  1/2 mile and then 1/4
mile...  Warren's times in the Roe car were pretty
amazing...I think I saw like 40.1 something from
him...and the slowest time was like...61 or 63
something.

After all of the runs, and some spinouts...things like
that...my dad's best time was 58.337, I believe, and
my best time was 56.644.  not a bad time for a pretty
much stock corvair all except for our 15 inch rims.

It was wihtout any problems for us, except that we
lost a little plastic center cap from a wheel, the
starvation problem in the 110 needs to be fixed (this
only happened autocrossing...but it needs to be fixed
anyhow) and our air cleaner assembly came off on one
side...but I ran it that way anyhow, and it was fine.

So anyway...we JUST got back here...it was about a 6
hour drive to New Brighton (suburb of St. Paul) and
um...there might be more when I'm done but to sum this
up.

Corvairs rock.  I could not be into a more unique,
fun, great driving vehicle with owners who are as nice
and knowledgable as all of you are.  there are parts,
there are genuinely nice people...and an amazing
ammount of person to person support that it very cool.

I'm WAY more in love with lates now.  Sorry early
guys.  the wind noise in my dad's 64 gave me a
headache, and his seats are too far forward.  and
plus, I just like the look of a late better.

Good stuff.  I hope to have my Corsa on the road in
the next 2 months.

Love ya guys,
Ryan