<VV> AC Leak - Solved

LanningWB at aol.com LanningWB at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 07:23:11 EDT 2005

Thanks to those that responded to my previous inquiry about looking for
leaks in my stock R-12 AC system.  I think I have it corrected.   Here's a little
summary:

- The system had completely leaked down over the winter (ahhh!  sure hated
loosing that precious R12!!).
- Before starting to look for leaks I put 60 psi of nitrogen in the  system,
which leaked down to 35 psi (25 psi drop) in one day.
- I checked all joints, oil drain port, drier connections, etc  with soapy
water and found leakage at the joint under the carpet below the  evaporator
where the copper pipe connects to rubber hose.
- Tightened that joint, but still had a little bubbling with the soapy  water
test.  Added a second hose clamp to that joint and tightened all  other
joints.  Leakage rate slowed to about 8 psi drop in one  day.  Making progress!!
- Went through the system again with soapy water and tightened all joints a
little more.
- The system has now held rock steady at 61 psi on nitrogen for over  12
hours, so I hope I have it licked.

I presume I was getting a little leakage at more than one joint that I  could
not tell with soapy water.  I was able to easily get about 1/2 turn  on the
screw on nearly all of the hose clamps.  I guess the rubber  hoses had settled
over the years and everything loosened up.

Now I'll proceed with pulling a vacuum and charging the  system.  Wish me
luck.

Wade