<VV> Synthetics? Dino?

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Sat Jul 2 12:13:38 EDT 2005

>Hey Guys,
>In all the discussion re: the virtues of lubricants, I didn't see any
>comments on the advisability of switching from one to the
>other....specifically from regular oil to say Mobil 1 or Amsoil.  Are
>there any issues connected to this that may effect an engine that has
>run all its life on crude. Would appreciate some comments from experience.
>Bill Kronen

There used to be some incompatibility issues between syn and dino oil, but that's all history.

I think you'll find in reality that the only real difference _might_ be in oil usage and/or leakage.

I have changed all sorts of cars from dino to syn with the following results:

1. No change in leakage or useage whatsoever. (Most)

2. Cars with oil leaks or usage becoming slightly worse with syn. (A few)

3. Cars with oil leaks becoming MUCH worse with syn. (These have all been British cars)

In Corvairs I have noted no difference at all.

Bill Elliott