<VV> Brake drums

Sebastian Denault corvairguy74 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 2 15:44:50 EDT 2005

I'm very new to the world of classic cars, and car repair in general. My '65
corsa needed some front brake work done, so I consulted my shop manual, and
it said that the brake drums could be easily removed without the removal of
the hubs. So I ended up sitting there trying to remove the drums until some
one recommended that I just remove the hubs to access the shoes and wheel
cylinder. This worked and I managed to do my repair on the brakes, but it
still bothered me that I had to remove the hubs, whereas the manual said I
could just pull off the drums. Are you supposed to be able to separate the
drum from the hub, or not? The shop manual never showed a picture of the
front brakes with the drum off and the hub still attached.
I was also confused about the access hole for the star wheel. Where exactly
is it, and how is one supposed to punch it out?
Any advice to a beginner would be greatly appreciated.