<VV> Stupid human tricks

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 16:39:33 EDT 2005

Frank "thinking before doing" Burkhard wrote:

> Why not just stop up the tailpipe so no exhaust gas can leave the
> engine?  100% EGR should quickly put a stop to the combustion

He he he! When I was at university in the 70s there was a guy with a hot
Ford Escort (the old RWD kind), and he really thought he was the bee's
knees! Everyone else had cars about 25 years old, but this poseur had one
that was about 3 years old and very hot. To make things worse, he never
maintained it properly, but just drove it at high speed, and very badly, all
round the grounds.

One day a friend of mine rammed a drilled cork up the exhaust - in England
we have things called 'optics' in bars, which is where a bottle of spirits
is suspended upside-down and a measure is stuck to the bottom, with a tube
going through the cork. If the measure is pushed up it lets one measure of
spirits into the glass.

Anyway, some wag (well, I know who it was, because he couldn't stop talking
about it!) shoved an 'optic cork' with a 1/8 or 1/4 inch hole through it
right up this Escort's exhaust as far as it would go (out of sight). Of
course, the car would only do about 15 miles an hour, ands this idiot drove
it round like that for ages (weeks) before taking it to a garage to get it
fixed! It was wonderful! The reason I know is because I ran the bar, and the
guy who wanted the cork had to ask me for it!

So now you have a great way to get back at people you don't like...

Cheers

Alan