<VV> muffler sound

kovacsmj kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 3 10:39:38 EDT 2005

 No amount of valve adjustment changed the 'spit' sound yesterday.
Today I took a compression test. I expect the pressures to go up after
500-1000 miles.

It looks OK except #2. All spark plugs just a little dusty- not oily.

1       140

2       170

3       135

4       130

5       140

6       140

 The check was done at WOT, chokes open, cranked 10 times thru comp
stroke.  Full charged battery and all cyls repeated within 5 lb. Another
interesting symptom is that when warm, the engine will really bog down
(900 RPM idle in neutral, timing at about 16 degrees without vacuum
advance, about 20 degrees with vacuum advance hooked up.) and
stumble/stall when dropped into gear (PG). All vacuum lines in place and
no carb base leaks.

 Guess I'll try a vacuum gauge later to see what is happening. I'll also
recheck the timing mark.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS