<VV> hot screech

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 12:08:36 EDT 2005

Hey guys,
I'm gonna spitball Ron's squeal without checking how
the lube system works at the risk of looking like a
moron. Well, for that one reason anyways.
If I remember my Corvair innards from the last time I
had one apart, about 15 years ago, oil pumps through a
channel in the connecting rod to lubricate the wrist
pin. This is the only area I envision could produce a
constant sqeal from one side.
Since the noise comes in when the engine warms up,
apparently unlubed metal is expanding and interfering
with something else.
A rod with a spun bearing or clogged oil passage could
cause the wrist pin bushing to run dry. This seems
more likely than a pin seizing in the piston, but
that's possible too.  Once its galled or damaged, it
won't become undamaged. Hard to say how long this will
keep going without breaking the rod end or beaking the
piston across the wrist pin bosses.
None of the tests you mentioned would turn up this
problem.
I have seen something else in overheated engines.
Pistons crack, usually through the ring grooves where
the walls are thinner. In one case, in a VW, chunks of
the land between rings had fragmented and was noisily
carving away at the cylinder. This too gave decent
compression readings for a short while.
Good luck, Ron. I wish I had a simpler, sunnier
solution.

Chuck Kubin