<VV> Loud noise when hot

Vairjer at cs.com Vairjer at cs.com
Sun Jul 3 12:46:11 EDT 2005

snip> It presently develops a loud noise, more like a screech than a knock,
when it gets up to temperature. It seems to develop good power otherwise. Since
the sound seems to come from the right side I pulled the right head today and
can find nothing wrong except for one cracked exhaust donut. <<

If you haven't found it yet, verify that all of the pushrods are "right side
up", i.e. with the oiling hole visible near the rocker...I have found that
some folks will put all or some of them in the wrong way, and it produces an "at
temperature" shrill squeaking that is otherwise hard to figure out...also kind
of hard on valve guides, rocker surfaces, etc....My 65 A/C car was that way
when I bought it...PO had a local mechanic put Viton O rings in, but the guy
didn't know which way the pushrod went, but was 100% consistently
wrong...Literal little old lady who drove the car only drove it one mile at a time down to
the courthouse and back in the evening, so she never had a problem...I
discovered it on my first trip out of town to a chapter meeting in Hickory, NC....made
it home cringing as I listened to the shrill squeaks, but no serious damage
was done...simply polished the valve stems with "crocus cloth" and reassembled
the head, and installed all pushrods the correct way.    20,000 miles later, I
did a valve job with new guides.

Jerry McKenzie