<VV> muffler sound

kovacsmj kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 3 16:42:25 EDT 2005

 Bob, you were close to the solution. I solved one problem. Using the
hand choke on the carb trick, I choked the left one and quite soon the
engine stalled. Doing the same to the right one, It kept running poorly
with a loud sucking sound from the rear of that carb. Upon removal, I
found the idle vent valve rubber had split and was allowing air to enter
the carb at the base, under all conditions. Replacing that rubber valve
cured that problem and the vacuum to the vacuum advance is now only
negligible. I still stalls when put into gear.

 The secondary carbs apparently had no impact on the operation when I
choked them by hand. They were not sucking any measurable amount of air.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS