<VV> spark plugs / W8AC

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Jul 3 19:46:47 EDT 2005

Folks
Bosch does use a 74 number on the box, but the W8AC is on the box too. And
At Twilight Zone, you have to hope the rock behind the counter has the
faintest inkling of what's going on to get them for you.

While the EUM sat up at the shop, while getting all the window channel rust
repair done,
it was started, driven out of the shop during the day, then started and
driven back in at night. This was done 6 days a week for about 6 weeks (we
only could work on it on saturdays, but wanted to keep it inside so rain
wouldn't get in the car while the glass was out.)  This resulted in about
100 cold starts, and the car would only run for about 60 seconds each time,
if that long.   When the glass was installed, almost a 1/2 tank of gas had
been run out/ and-or evaporated out of the car, 60 seconds at a time.
Engine wouldn't idle worth crap. Plugs had never gotten really warm, and had
gas and carbon fouled.

Sure, I could have probably cleaned them up and used them again, but for
7.00 even I had a new set in the engine, and all's well.  There's a VW in
the shop right now (a Karmann) so I left the old ones there, they're using
them (four of them anyway)
to keep moisture etc out of the engine while it sits on a shelf.

Hopefully that doesn't upset anyone---they're 98 cent plugs, not a NOS set
of 44FF's.
Besides, it is MY car, and that's what I wanted to do. Anybody don't like
that can BITE ME.

BTW, once I got the car back home, I topped the engine to 1/2 full with 93
octane, then filled to full with 110LL I bought, and drove it to work and
back every day last week ( total miles, about 250) and it runs like a champ.
(the resulting mix is 101 octane, like you could buy for 30cents a gallon in
1965.)
The nameless person at the nameless airport where I got it asked me if it
was for a race car, and I told him it was for a Corvair. He said "well,
that's an aircraft engine anyway"--
sounds like he knows something.

 The Camaro seats are quite comfortable,  and with some JC witless seat
covers on them, almost look like a racing seat from a distance.

Dropped over to see my friend Bruce Hewitt on Corvair LN  (yes, there is a
Corvair LN in Lincoln County, helps to be a member of the county Republican
Club). He agrees that the car is shaping up nicely.  Saving now for paint
and body, looking to aquire stereo gear soon.

Hank