<VV> 2006 Convention

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Jul 4 11:13:17 EDT 2005

Doug
You have the location right---It will be held at the Adam's Mark (originally
the Buffalo Hilton) in downtown Buffalo. That will likely be an experience
for all of you. I haven't seen the dates published yet.

I don't want to steal any of Portland's thunder, but since just about
everyone who is going there has already made their plans, let me plug my
hometown for you!!!

Buffalo is a proud city, once the "Queen City of the Great Lakes".  It was
the transfer point (before the St.Lawrence Seaway) where Midwest Grain was
put on rail cars and sent to the east coast to be put on ocean going
vessels.  Much of the grain was milled into flour and other products (like
HO Oats and Cheerios) right in Buffalo. Those days ended in the early 60's.

Buffalo hosted the Pan American Exposition in 1900-1901. Several of the
buildings are still in use (Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society, and
Albright Knox Art Gallery).

Buffalo is struggling to emerge from 30 years of hard times. In the  70's,
the steel business went bust, and so did Bethlehem and Republic Steel,
which less than 10 years before, employed more than 35,000 local residents.
In the 80's, as the Auto Business went bad,  General Motors moved 7 plants
(6 Trico and 1 Harrison) out of Buffalo to Mexico, and thousands more jobs
went away with it. People have been bleeding out of the city for about 25
years now, most in search of employment.

The mouth of the Niagara River begins in Buffalo, Lake Erie funnels into the
river at the Peace Bridge, which is one of 3 international boarder crossings
from the US into Canada in the Buffalo region. (the others are the Rainbow
Bridge, just past the Falls, and the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, over the
Lower river about 20 miles downstream from the Falls).  There are lots of
great river recreation areas and views on both sides of the river.
And the Falls?? You have to see it to really believe it. Don't miss the ride
on the Maid of the Mist--one of the best sawbucks you'll ever spend on a
tourist attraction.

Downtown Buffalo is very slowly beginning a rennisance, old warehouses are
being converted into loft apartments, the Theatre District is struggling to
regain its old color.
I guess you could say that the city is too stubborn to lay down and die,
much like the residents who are native to the city.

If flying into Buffalo, you will find a spanking new and very modern
airport. Roads around the area are in very good condition considering the 7
months of snow and ice that are on them each year (ave snowfall 122 inches
per year). There is an Interstate ring around 3/4 of the city, Interstate
along the river completes the ring, and there are connecting expressways
cutting through the city east and west, north and south (NY 33--the
Kensington Expressway, and NY 198--the Scajaquada Expressway). There isn't a
place in the city that you can't get to in less than 20 minutes.  Can't say
that about Charlotte or Atlanta!!!

Bring a healthy appetite. Buffalo's ethnic heritage will provide you with
lot's of great dining experiences. Italian, Polish, German, Hungarian,
Irish, Greek, you'll find all of it and more in Buffalo. (don't miss the
local chicken wings, invented in Buffalo. or a Roast Beef on a special
German roll with a cold beer (Beef on Weck). Buffalo also boasts some of the
best (and least expensive) Pizza and Submarine Sandwiches you'll ever eat.

 If you need help, ask a local!!! Buffalo is called the "City of Good
Neighbors", and just about anyone you ask will be helpful.  Or you could
just ask me.
I'll be there, and though you know where I live, my heart has always been
and remains in Buffalo and Western New York. It is without a doubt the best
kept secret on the east coast.

The New York Clubs (GNFC, Central NY, ACORNS of Rochester) and our brothers
to the north (CORSA Ontario) are putting together what I am sure will be a
unique experience for all conventioneers.  I hope many of our members,
especially those who hav never attended an International Convention in the
past, will be tempted to make the trip to Buffalo next year.  You can bet
I'll be there. Since we are selling our family home, I will be at the host
hotel, hopefully in the middle of everything.

I now return you to "where you can find Amsoil in the Corn Belt"  as if
anyone actually gives a crap.

Hank