<VV> GM "engineer" syn oil comments

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Mon Jul 4 14:06:56 EDT 2005

I really haven't had much to say on the Amsoil issue, but I feel I do have to speak up for Allen (Jestal the
GM "engineer) that you're deriding here.

I know him, he knows his stuff extremely well, and he is the real thing. He has been _extremely_ helpful
to many of us. Whether you agree with his opinion on Amsoil or not (just the tone of your post reinforces
his "cult" opinion) you should not discount his credibility out of hand, because he IS a real GM engineer
and it's the opinion of folks like him (not the self-styled oil expert guys or Amsoil customers) that dicate
the design of the engines we use. If Amsoil were really that much better, don't you think that GM would
use it if it could save them money and reduce warranty costs?

In fact, the person that I know that has done the most third-party scientific research on commerically
available oil is actually a car nut MD with a strange and unnatural attraction to motor oil. And while he
may be ABSOLUTELY RIGHT in some of his findings (which often suggest a far different oil usage than
the manufacturers) I refuse to follow his advice BUT will follow Jestal's suggestions  (even though he
may be misinformed in a few areas) because He's the one that ACTUALLY worked  on the engine
design. So while his advice may not always be the _optimal_ solution, I rest easy knowing that I'll never
hurt my car by following his guidance.

(And it's not that his advice is always just conservative...as it appears to be in his oil postings... he's told
me different ways that GM gave overly conservative guidance where the engineering data suggested a
much stronger design. One example of this is towing with an Allante.. he told me how to do so safely.)

I would think Allen's comments on Amsoil _likely_ come from their early marketing setup and their
insistence of how superior they are to Mobile 1. Their supporters DO tend to be almost cult-like (kind of
like us Corvair guys!) and their prices are indeed well out of the market mainstream.

While I'm enough of a believer to run Amsoil in my transaxles (and in my two strokes), I can see no
justification for spending the extra money to run it in my crankcase. And I certainly don't increase oil
change intervals with ANY oil (despite what Amsoil or other oil "experts" may suggest).

I'd say overall his advice is pretty darn good even if he is maligning your preferred product while giving it...

I have seen some (very limited) Amsoil in mainstream stores, but very rarely.

Bill Elliott