<VV> Coin help (no Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jul 4 17:38:20 EDT 2005

At 11:06 hours 07/03/2005, Larry Shapiro wrote:
>I am the coin man :)
>Larry
>www.larryscorvair.com
>  www.pqdollars.com

I have run across a couple of chrome plated nickels...  odd ducks.   Not
sure what the story there is, but the last one also had a scratch on it
that looked as if somebody had gouged it to confirm that it had been
plated; underneath was the "warmer" colored nickel alloy.

The first impulse over the "silver" penny is that it's a '43 wartime
pressing made of steel, zinc plated.  Copper shortage and all, pennies were
made of "mild" steel that year and plated so they wouldn't rust.  In fact,
other wartime years pennies were stamped using "shellcase copper" alloy
that was recycled war department surplus.   But you said it wasn't an old
penny...?

This would suggest that somebody has been playing with their home plating
kit ala the chrome plated nickels.

Once upon a time I copper-plated a nickel with a solution of copper
sulfate...  goofing around.   It didn't come out as nice as the chromed
nickels.

tony..