<VV> Cold Solder?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Jul 5 16:07:49 EDT 2005

At 04:16 hours 07/04/2005, Bob & Kathy Gilbert wrote:
>Had one given to me. In addition to the excellent points raised below the
>tip is so tiny as to be just about useless. It's still sitting in it's box
>and I doubt it will ever be used.
>Bob

Some years ago there was some outfit that sold a battery powered solder
iron  for ~20 bucks.   It used three "sub-c" cells in the handle and had a
regular looking tip, operated with a push button, heated up *right
now*.   It was red, came with a charging base, did GOOD work on circuit
boards and typical small wire connections.   It was good for maybe 20
watts, plenty for doing quick and dirty remote solder work, seemed to
average around 30-40 connections before you ran the batteries down, took a
couple of hours to recharge it.

Today, there are lots of better quality batteries around which would
certainly improve performance, including nickel-hydride cells, cheap and
reliable.

I lost this soldering iron some years ago... ticked me off, wish I had it
back.   So, don't downplay those battery powered soldering tools too
quickly.   Get a good one and it could surprise you.

tony..