<VV> Clutch assembly or transaxle

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Jul 5 23:29:04 EDT 2005

Something is keeping your clutch from releasing fully and the little brass
synchronizer clutches can't stop the spinning input shaft; thus the  grinding.
As others have mentioned, the pilot bearing in the end of the crank could  be
dragging.  Your pressure plate's diaphragm spring may have been damaged
during reinstall (uneven tightening of bolts). Did you change the clutch  disc?
"Fuzzy" or thicker than stock discs will cause non-release.  If  your clutch
fork isn't properly located on the pivot ball, your clutch won't  release.
Another, more common, problem is improper adjustment of the  cable.  At rest, the
cross shaft should be about 1/2" or more from the  transmission support.
Frequently, when guys (gals are too smart) put things back  together, they adjust
the cable  to enter the cross-shaft with the cross  shaft resting on the trans
support.

I'd put my money on the diaphragm spring.
Craig N.