<VV> Effect of Steam in Brake Systems

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Wed Jul 6 18:00:45 EDT 2005

Bill Elliot just advised that the formation of steam in a brake system would
cause the pedal to drop to the floor. Personally (I don't think) I have any
experience of a steamy brake system, although I'm sure I've put in a lot of
miles with damp ones.
     It SEEMS to me that flash evaporation of water in a hot brake system
would have the same effect as it does in a steam engine - it would expand
forcefully and lock up the brake system (INCREASING rather than DECREASING
the volume occupied by fluids in the close brake system).
     Can anyone elaborate on this process for me?

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C and DOT 5 brake fluid