<VV> was synthetic oil, now silicone brake fluid

DSJKLING at sbcglobal.net DSJKLING at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 20:32:54 EDT 2005

I haven't (knock on wood) had any of the problems of
the brakes being soft or going to the floor etc.  I
have gotten the brakes hot too, no super sponge
there.  I do try to minimize the introduction of air
by pouring slow and not shaking the bottle.  Again, I
don't race but my van isn't a trailer queen either.
I drive it and drive it around people that can stop
much faster than I can.  Most of the time normal
driving but I've been known to push it.  I have had
the brakes hot enough to have the "fade" feeling but
that was the lining at fault, I still had plenty of
pedal.  I also made sure that the rubber in the
system was silicone compatible before using it.  I'm
no expert by any means, just know what works for me.

To me it's kinda like the arguement for wrapped fan
belts or belt tensioners.  I run neither and so far
have over 60,000 miles on my current fan belt.  I do
carry a spare though!  It's now an experiment to see
how long it will last.  I don't need a wrapped belt
or a tensioner.  True, if a belt flips or breaks you
won't necessarily be risking your life.  But taken to
extreme on stuff, I wouldn't even be leaving the
driveway without air bags, 5 point seat belts, roll
cages, collapsing steering column etc.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier
1963 Spyder