<VV> Silicone brake fluid

Ruth Dorogi dfamily at cecomet.net
Wed Jul 6 22:53:25 EDT 2005

I don't race my corvairs.  I have three licensed corvairs and have restored 3 others for my sons.  The ones with silicone brake fluid are trouble free.  The other three (and a 65 Buick Skylark) all developed leaking wheel cylinders or master cylinders due to corrosion.  This can lead to brake failure due to loss of fluid.  I also got tired of replacing brake shoes due to fluid getting on the shoes.  I recently checked the wheel cylinders on the convertible (with silicone brake fluid)and they were amazingly rust-free and clean.  None of these cars have ever seen a trailer (wish I could afford one).  It is hard to drive all three all the time so they do sit for periods of time especially during our long and severe winters.  I also believe condensation is one way water is introduced into a brake system.  I will stick with the silicone for my type of driving.  It seems trouble free in my experience.