<VV> brakes break

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 18:15:29 EDT 2005

I've mentally compiled a much of the information as I can from the brake fluid thread and have arrived at my Top 10 conclusions:

1) DOT 3 is best.

2.DOT 4 is best.

3) DOT 5 is best.

4) Synthetic is best.

5) Whichever is best apparently matters as much to a car that goes 50 miles a year as to one that goes 25,000. Owners driving 50 miles per year consider this enough to evaluate.

6) Air molecules are smaller than brake fluid molecules (duh). Works for me; the one time I tried to breath brake fluid didn't work out.

7) Brake lines and seals are porous enough to leak air and water molecules, but not mine. My brakes aren't self-bleeding and enough water remains in a well-used system to cause rust and pits in the wheel cylinders.

8) Even if they don't mix, enough water is dissolved/collected/absorbed/settled in my brake fluid to cause problems like explosive steam discharges. Apparently clean, unopened brake fluid contains a LOT of water.

9) Although liquids  don't compress, apparently some brake fluids do, at least enough to notice.

10) My car doesn't care what I use. Or maybe it does.

So guys, please help. I just want to make sure I got it right. If I ever have a brake failure, I want to eliminate the fluid as the cause. I don't want to say "dem's da brakes."

Chuck Kubin