<VV> Startup and bog problems

Jason Morris Jmorris at AlamoCityCorvair.org
Thu Jul 7 23:21:50 EDT 2005

I've been trying to track down two persistent problems with my 1965 95hp 3spd Monza 4dr.  My local Corvair club (The Alamo City Corvair Association) has been a great help but I'm still not there yet.

The Corvair has been bogging out at low RPM's, so much so that I have had to push the clutch in and increase the RPM's to 2000+ to get it rolling.  It has also had a strange starting problem, it will start up cold with a little work, but drive it 4 blocks to the gas station and it has a very hard time starting again.

Here is what has been done so far:

Replaced leaking fuel pump (changed oil & filter)

New bolted flywheel (old one was very noisy) & pilot bushing

New spark plug wires

Changed out the plugs

Ignitor II and flame thrower II (when replaced I noticed some oil sitting in the bottom of the distributer)

New 875 CCA battery (to help with starting problems)

Rebuilt both carbs (soaked all old parts, not in rebuild kit, in cleaner for 24 hours)

-I've had a few of our clubs' expert carb builders look through these carbs several times and everything looks good. The float heights are right and all jets are clean.  Even the accelerator pumps are squirting nicely, even when the engine is hot.

Throttle shaft seals (o-rings and springs) on all sides

Timing set to about 12 degrees

            -Factory spects say to set the timing to 2 degrees but the bog problem was much worse at that setting.

Dwell set to about 36

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Jason Morris

www.AlamoCityCorvair.org