<VV> Startup and bog problems

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 10:04:37 EDT 2005

Hi Jason,
Some thoughts below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 7/8/05 6:40:09 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Jmorris at AlamoCityCorvair.org writes:

> It has also had a strange starting problem, it will start up cold with a
> little work, but drive it 4 blocks to the gas station and it has a very hard
> time starting again.
>
> Are you saying that the starter turns the engine over well, but that it
> won't fire?  First thing is to check the choke settings.
>
> Here is what has been done so far:
>
> Ignitor II and flame thrower II (when replaced I noticed some oil sitting in
> the bottom of the distributer)

>       -Factory spects say to set the timing to 2 degrees but the bog
> problem was much worse at that setting.

No. Factory setting is 6 BTDC.

> Dwell set to about 36
>

> With the Ignitor II there is no dwell setting. How are you setting it to 36
> (which would be high for points)?

> Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

A couple. Check that the VA vac is taken from the vertical tube on the carb.

Disconnect the VA line and check the total adv by revving the engine in
neutral up to about 3000 rpm. Should be in neighborhood of 35 degrees. Either
estimate position on HB, or use a dial back timing light (best).

When running as well as possible, disconnect one carb linkage and see how it
runs. Then repeat by disconnecting other carb linkage. If running is
different, then may be associated with that bank. If the same, then something common to
engine (like spark) is the problem.

Again check choke adjustments.

> Jason Morris

Bob Helt