<VV> Wrong Gaskets mean bad problems...Carter YH

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 13:00:16 EDT 2005

I received a Carter YH carb today that had been recently rebuilt by someone else and had started causing the owner problems with flooding and turbo blow by (suspected) after being worked on..When I received the carb it was apparent that the rebuilder had gotten hold of one of the old generic kits that seem to still be on the market. They have several possible gasket combinations. It's been a while since I've seen one up close, but I think I recall that the instructions say to use a different number (stack) of the gaskets, depending on the application (Nash, Corvette, Corvair, Marine, Industrial, etc.). To make matters worse, the gaskets were made for a YF carburetor which has the same number of holes, but with a different shape.They will "work", but are almost guaranteed to eventually leak. The previous rebuilder had used all of them (no instructions, or just male ego?) which put about a 3/8" space between the throttle body and carb. This essentially made the choke connector rod too short, so it was bent at an obtuse angle. This in turn prevented the fast idle link (the flat chrome rod) from contacting the choke shaft correctly (it just butted up against the adjusting tang), which in turn meant the throttle plate could not close all the way.  All this equals a carb that is not going to want to idle and can dump a lot of gas through the system.... not a good thing.  I am writing this because I have recently seen a few of the generic kits for sale on ebay...I would avoid them if I were you,... unless you unless you're just really cheap :-)...
The Carbmeister

grant young
gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.