<VV> Air vs Water HP

Nick Elzinga starship at worldonline.co.za
Fri Jul 8 17:33:13 EDT 2005

Having given this a quick bit of thought I have come to the following
conclusions....

In a water cooled car the fan only runs for brief periods to reduce
temperature to within a certain range.  Cars equipped with air conditioning
would have the fan run permanently and sometimes at a higher speed with the
air conditioning switched on, but therein lies the problem - I think.  The
fans are 12v DC and to the best of my knowledge are of the type that have
carbon brushes, which wear out.

If an electric fan were to be used to cool an air cooled car, it would have
to run permanently and at high speed and I think the lifespan of the brushes
is the limiting factor.  If the fan were to stop working because the brushes
had worn out, you'd be stuck and I think it is because of the reliability
factor that air cooled cars use either a fan mounted directly on the
crankshaft as in the VW type 4, Citroen 2CV and Citroen GS, or belt driven
as in the Corvair.

If one were willing to check and replace brushes at regular intervals, then
I don't see why one couldn't use an electric fan.

Nick Elzinga