<VV> Re: Courtesy light hook up

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sat Jul 9 10:54:23 EDT 2005

Having now spent some time studying the under-dash wiring, I am now
convinced that for my 66 coupe, at least, it never had the floor
courtesy lights, only the dome light.  This is consistent with the
service manual, which shows that one or the other are used.  The
connectors used, as well as wire lengths, do not support using them both
together.  This led me to the realization that the courtesy light
harness I have likely came from my wife's long defunct convertable, and
wasn't a "leftover" part.

However, having gone this far, I wasn't going to be thwarted from adding
the lights.  I made a pair of two-into-one flying-lead connectors and
hooked the courtesy lights in parallel with the dome light.  Now both
work together when either a door switch is grounded (by opening a door),
or the panel dimmer control is rotated to the left.

I was surprised to discover that GM used the specialized type 631 lamp
for this purpose, rather than the much more common type 97.  Having dual
series filaments instead of a single filament would seem to be
unimportant when the light is not directly viewed, but instead reflects
off the carpet.  The slightly different wattages of these bulbs is not
apparent in situ.

kirby