<VV> Wheel bearings and a close call

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 9 11:15:46 EDT 2005

It is my understanding (and I will be glad to be corrected) is that you are
seeing play between the nut inside the diff that holds the yoke on and the
block in which the shaft that holds the spider gears.  What you are doing is
showing the lateral axle movement - in and out.  This isn't a problem,
normally.  You have to test the rear wheel bearings by top in and bottom out
and vice versa. Or front to rear.  Doing this while trying to hold axle from
"plunging" is difficult.

In other words, go jack up one side and try it yourself and you will see
what I am talking about.

Twisting the wheel back and forth (Rotational) will show play in the gear
train; backlash in the ring and pinion not a lot ( ideally .005),  and
excessive clearance due to worn pinion gear shaft inner splines and mating
transmission output shaft splines (the most slop), and any other gear
backlash in transmission (very little).

Chuck "chasing driveline problems" S
BBRT